My Family Tree is an excellent tool for recording just about every possible detail on your family history.
The program imports existing trees from GEDCOM files, or you can easily start from scratch, adding individuals and a host of details on them: relationships, photos and stories, video, audio, general attachments, even genetics.
There's plenty of depth to these options, too. An extensive "Details" section allows you to add the name, birth and death dates, nationality, religion, social security number, title, education, description, confirmation date, first communion and more.
Relationships are reasonably flexible: children can be "natural", "adopted" or foster", a spouse can be "current" or "former", an "Unrelated" option allows you to connect friends, witnesses or others you might need to reference later.
Even a basic tool like adding an image manages to impress, with support for scanners, one or two basic editing options ("Rotate", "Sepia"), printing, slideshows and more.
The core family tree view is very configurable. You might choose to show all generations, just immediate family, maybe those born after a particular date; there are options to hide descendants, ancestors, siblings and more; you can show or hide dates, photos, genders and so on; there are even built-in themes to change the background and colour scheme.
A host of other views are just a click away. There's an ancestors tree; an interactive timeline; lists of sources, photos, stories and more, and handy pages of statistics and family details. (If you'd like a count of the surnames in your family tree, say, or a graph showing the distribution of family ages at death then you'll find them here.)
A set of useful reports provides further ways to analyse your tree, most notably highlighting possible errors: people who've lived "too long", have no parents, have duplicate named children, have events after death, and so on.
And the program is rounded off with plenty of small but welcome extras, such as its ability to password-protect your tree and ensure its details remain private.
Version 126.96.36.199 brings (Changelog):
New features and enhancements
- Updated several translations.
- Improved loading progress indicator.
- Improved chart updating for marriage end dates when birth / death date / is living status changes.
- Added option to change to whether proper nouns should be spell checked during spell check.
- Added reference to citation popup.
- Added support for importing orphaned PHON, URL, WWW, FAX and EMAIL tags.
- Fixed issue with date picker.
- Fixed issue with printing after user reselects a previously selected printer.
- Fixed issue with deleting the last shared fact from a person.
- Fixed rare issue with updating the places list when list height is zero.
- Fixed rare issue with setting file creation and last write time on multimedia files.
- Fixed issue with citation editor allowing editing whilst adding multimedia.
- Fixed rare issue with deleting relationships.
- Fixed rare issue with creating folder in directory where a file of same name as folder exists.
- Popups now remain top most only when application has focus.