The humble MP3 didn't take long to become the file format of choice for music lovers and is now used by a wide range of portable music players. But MP3s can also be played on your computer, and while Windows Media Player is perfectly capable of playing such files, many people find that it is slow and clunky.
Winamp is a lightweight MP3 player which has a number of exciting features to enhance your music listening experience. As well as playing MP3s, the program can also sync your music library with your iPod and provides access to a massive selection of online radio stations.
Information for untagged MP3s can be downloaded from the internet and you can use Winamp to access artist and track information. You are provided with access to thousands of free MP3s but you can also use the program to rip your MP3s into a variety of formats.
Winamp is a stalwart of the MP3 world and after trying it for just a short time you will quickly understand why it has outlasted the competition. At its most basic, it is a lightweight MP3 player with a handy range of features, but it has a great deal more to offer than just music playback.
One of the great things about Winamp is the fact that it is almost endless customisable. There are a huge number of skins that can be downloaded to completely change the appearance of the program, and plugins can be used to add new features and refinements.
Winamp 5.63 new features/fixes include:
* New: Hungarian and Indonesian installer translations and language packs
* New: [enc_vorbis] Ogg Vorbis Encoder (based on aoTuV)
* Improved: Shift+F10 app key support in the Media Library
* Improved: [enc_fhgaac] Added VBR mode 6, plus other minor quality improvements
* Improved: [in_mod] Refactored, simplified and threadsafe memory allocation
* Improved: [ml_history] Save playcounts when updated instead of only on exit
* Improved: [ml_local] Increased search query buffers from 512 or 1024 to 2048 bytes
* Improved: [gen_hotkeys] Added manual advance and visualization specific actions
* Fixed: Embedded album art not working in some scenarios
* Fixed: [aacdec] Memory leak when re-syncing to AAC stream
* Fixed: [bmp] Bounds checking in TSCC decoder
* Fixed: [bmp] Heap overflow issues (thanks: Secunia)
* Fixed: [in_avi] Divide-by-zero and NULL pointer issues (thanks: FuzzMyApp)
* Fixed: [in_mod] .IT memory & heap corruption issues (thanks: Jeremy Brown, MSVR)
* Fixed: [ml_local] Crash in MLDBAPI::SetField cache
* Fixed: [pmp_android/usb] Genre and Year metadata edits writing to Disc# field
* Fixed: [vis_milk2] Presets not reacting to music in localized installs (Milkdrop v2.25)
* Misc: More general tweaks, improvements, fixes and optimizations
* Updated: [aacdec] Fraunhofer AAC Decoder v1.762.208
* Updated: [in_vorbis] libogg 1.3.0 & libvorbis 1.3.3
* Updated: [lame_enc] LAME 3.99.5
* Updated: [png] libpng v1.5.10
* Updated: [vp8] libvpx v1.1.0
* Updated: [xml] expat v2.1.0
* Updated: [zlib.dll] zlib 1.2.7